We are huge DIY (do it yourself) fans, and these wooden chalkboard hearts are so easy to do, we let the little kiddies do them during the wedding preparations. This is how it looked like on the day of the reception:
We'd written our initials on one side and the date of our reception on the other, and hung them around on anything and everything.
What you'll need:
Wooden Hearts (any size of your choice)
Chalkboard Paint in black
A surface to work on
1. Prep the work surface- cover with paper/newspaper to prevent damage to the area
2. Paint one side of the heart and allow to dry fully (it didn't take that long, about 15-20 mins)
3. Turn over and paint the other side
4. Once fully dry, you can assess whether a second coat is needed- I left it at 1 coat
5. If paint has settled over the hole then poke it with a toothpick/cocktail stick
5. Feed the twine through and tie a knot
6. Get writing!
These look a bit tattered because it was the ones we used for the wedding and I just rubbed the old writing off (laziness lol). For a cleaner second use- wipe with a damp cloth.
Hang messages around :)
*all the props used were picked up from TKMaxx/TJMaxx over a period of time. It's one of my favourite stores for finding one off items.