Sometimes you get cravings for certain foods and only that specific food item will hit the spot. While spending the day doing not much yesterday I suddenly wanted to eat Bread and Butter Pudding....yes that's right, perhaps not the most sophisticated of desserts and most probably not what most people crave but oh well. The belly wants what the belly wants. Bread and Butter pudding is such a typical British pudding, and I remember my mother used to make it a lot when we were younger. It has been a long time and she couldn't remember her exact recipe. I went online, got a recipe (there was too much choice so I chose on basis on the nicest photo) and off I went.
Any stale bread (I used semi stale white baguette)
(I felt this needed to be increased to 250 ml)
(the pudding was not sweet at all, definately needs more sugar, I'd add 5/6 tablespoon next time)
1 Tablespoon Sugar for sprinkling
Optional: Some Nuts (I used walnuts)
1. Put the oven on to heat at 180 degrees/gas mark 4
2. Cut up stale bread and butter on both sides
3. Place in ovenproof dish
4. Sprinkle some sugar and add nuts over the bread
5. Beat the eggs with the milk and sugar
6. Pour egg mixture over the buttered bread
7. Let it soak for 30 minutes
8. Put to cook in oven for about 25/30 mins
9. Check if it's cooked by inserting a butter knife and the knife should come out clean.
Serve and enjoy; you can serve with fresh fruits, custard, double cream. This is not a healthy dessert but it's not that sinful either! If you're a vegan then cut out the egg mixture completely and substitute by mixing Bird's Egg Free Custard with your choice of "milk" (e.g. soya milk, almond milk or coconut milk) and either don't butter the bread or butter using a "spread" as I have done.
Bon Appetit :)