This is top 2 of my favourite cake recipes. EVER. Number 1 is my almond cake but that's for another time. You need to make this cake this weekend. That's how good it is.
This is a ridiculously easy recipe, so you have no excuses.
1.5 cups of Self raising flour
3 tablespoons cocoa
pinch of salt
2-3 tablespoons red food coloring (I use East End red powder food colouring; use as much as you need to turn your batter red)
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons plain yogurt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup oil
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees or gas mark 4.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients together and keep aside.
3. Beat the egg and sugar together.
4. Add the buttermilk, plain yoghurt, vanilla extract and oil and beat well
5. Stir in the dry ingredients and whisk together. You don't want to overbeat; just whisk it until the dry ingredients are incorporated (with my electric whisk I beat for about 30 seconds).
6. Pour into your tin and bake. You know your cake is baked when you insert a toothpick in it and it comes out dry (a few crumbs will stick to it but as long as it's not wet then it's done).
The whole cake takes me about 60 seconds to beat!
You can also bake these as cupcakes; takes about 10-12 mins to bake. Cakes takes about 20 mins to bake.
For the cream cheese frosting:
225 g full fat cream cheese
225 g of room temperature butter
1.5 cups of icing sugar
1.5 teaspoon of vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1. Beat together the cream cheese and butter until well combined
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and beat
3. Chill it in the fridge before using so it becomes a bit firm
Cut the top of the cake and turn it into crumbs to top off the top of the cream cheese frosting.
p.s. Nigar is not a fan of red velvet but she adores the cream cheese and usually eats it by spoonfuls or by dipping strawberries in it!
|It will definitely make you as happy as this Minion ;)|
Make this cake please, it will change your life (well by changing your waistline probably *wink*) . Share your thoughts and comments below.