One of our household favourite dishes to eat and really easy to make. Nigar hates anything green and refuses to try okra/bhindi.
The hubby is Pakistani and he said it's authentic so that's that ;)
Okra does not look the best once cooked but let's not judge this dish by the way it looks. I appreciate that it looks mushy but the taste is high up there.
Okra not only tastes great but is full of nutritional benefits; high in antioxidants, vitamin B6 and vitamin C. It also has fibre, calcium, folic acid and is low in calories.
1 bag of frozen okra (1 kg)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 cup water
fresh chillies (optional)
|frozen bhindi steams up when added to heat. so cool.|
1. chop the onions, tomatoes and chillies
2. sautee with the oil for about 5 mins
3. add all the spices and allow to cook for a few mins
4. add the water and let simmer for about 5 mins
5. add frozen okra, and stir
6. just let it cook. I like my okra really soft so i let it cook for about 45 mins. remember to occasionally stir to prevent it from sticking to the pan/burning.
Serve with my favourite daal (masoor/red lentils; recipe here).
Who else loves bhindi here?